Come Home To St. Croix
Last Updated (Monday, 13 May 2013 10:18)
Bringing People Together
In July of every year, Crucians who live abroad, those who live right here and others who have found a home on St. Croix heed the call to Come Home to St. Croix. This event offers a unique opportunity for residents and visitors to learn more about family history, traditions and connections.
This eight-day celebration of culture, history and family promotes the preservation of St. Croix’s cultural heritage and traditions through family reunions, family research and other activities. Families and groups use this opportunity to plan reunions, as the program provides diverse opportunities at which members can gather.
Museum spaces are available for family gatherings, and day rates are available for Discover St. Croix Camp.
Download our Site Rental Rates
Celebrating Family History
Our Library Family History Center will be open Monday, July 15 through Saturday, July 20 from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Event costs vary from free to a small admission fee for adults. Children are admitted free to most events when accompanied by their parents. Please visit our individual event Calendar pages below.
Please contact us for information on how to get involved!
View July 2013 Calendar
July 14 - Sunday ~ 3:00 p.m.
- Honoring Our Ancestors: Opening Ceremony
- Exhibit: Opening: Who Bin Sen' Yoh: Crucian Music and Musicians
Presenter: Dimitri "Pikey" Copemann
July 15 - Monday ~ 7:00 p.m.
- Workshop: Get Started with Your Family History,
A "Hands-on" Workshop
Presenter: Ms. Mary Roebuck
July 16 - Tuesday ~ 7:00 p.m.
- Forum: Emancipation Revisited
Presenter: Mario Moorehead
- Exhibit: Emancipation
July 17 - Wednesday ~ 7:00 p.m.
- Forum: Crucian Spoken Here; Language or Dialect
Presenters: Dr. Faraclas, Mr. Roland Roebuck
Skit with:Mr. Stanley Jacobs, Mr, Wayne "Bully" Petersen, Ms. Maren Roebuck, Ms. Asta Williams
- Family Reunion: Roebuck Family Meet & Greet
July 18 - Thursday ~ 5:30 p.m.
- Places That Matter: Estate Sandy Point and Turtle Watch
Presenters: Mr. John Farchette, Ms. Claudia Lombardi
July 19 - Friday ~ 6:00 p.m.
- 6:00 pm - Quadrille 101: Learn to Dance Quadrille
- 7:00 pm - Grand Crucian Quadrille
with Stanley & the Ten Sleepless Knights
July 20 - Saturday ~ 7:00 p.m.
- Video: Slaves in the Family: The Victor Cornelius Story
(A Danish / Crucian Music Connection)
- Live Jazz Concert: Ben Besiakov-Family & Friends
July 21 - Sunday ~ 12:00 noon
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
- Old-time Family Day: Demostrations of Traditional Food, Crafts and Toys, Games, Music and Dance
- Lecture: Songs of Social Relevance - Lesser Known Quelbe and Cariso
Presenters: Mr. Dimitri "Pikey" Copemann, Ms. Cedell Petersen-Christopher, Mr. Eldred "Edgie" Christian, Mr. Sylvester "Blinky" McIntosh, Mr. Stanley Jacobs and the We Deh Yah Cultural Dancers